Editor’s Note: Tina Fox is a business leader and founder of Fox Paradigm Consulting. Recognized locally and nationally for being a fellow champion of women supporting women, she founded the Women in Business network in 2015, which recently merged with Women on Course.
We recently interviewed Tina on the AWE Show and Podcast, and are so pleased to share her inspirational approach and awesome tips for successful entrepreneurs.
Tina Fox’s Top Tips for Successful Start-Ups & Entrepreneurs
After 22 years leading sales and business development in corporate America, I realized I had laid the foundation for running my own business. But I didn’t plan to make the transition overnight. Instead, I read voraciously and asked tons of questions of industry peers to get their insights and learn from their paths before I began to chart my own course.
Perhaps that’s why an essential part of my work is also disseminating information to help make the path easier for women in business. We in particular have to overcome many hurdles to get to an even place in the marketplace and business world, and I diligently endeavor to change that reality. We must make it a priority to contribute to the next generation so we can see a field of leaders more diverse than the past. This is the legacy I hope to leave.
There are three key qualities every successful entrepreneur must possess, what I call:
The Power of Three
- Know your worth
- Believe that you can provide value and express what that is
- Lead in your lane and use your voice for positive change
Always emulate up! Find mentors who exemplify these qualities and model your entrepreneurial character after them. I personally receive immense satisfaction in mentoring. And don’t make it harder than necessary, whether your business operates on the national or local level. When it comes to finding inspiration, you can start with those right in front of you. Local leadership is accessible and a terrific reminder of the greatness within each of us.
Now you are ready to translate your inner greatness into entrepreneurial awesomeness!
Top 10 Tips for Starting Your Own Business
- Research well.
- Create a plan (This does not have to be a detailed written document. Start-ups change before the ink is dry.)
- Be flexible and resilient.
- Know that you are in it for the long haul.
- Take a moment to celebrate “inch stones” the way you would milestones.
- Make impact with what you are good at but seek to learn things that are outside your comfort zone.
- When it’s time, let go of control and hire well.
- Surround yourself with support but also with those that speak the truth.
- Be a servant leader.
- Don’t lose sight of what’s important to you while pursuing the dream.
In just three years, organic word-of-mouth has helped us grow our Women on Course membership from eight women to more than 1,300 in the D.C. metro area. Our growth was sustained because I always kept an open mind to the possibilities of my future. So, regardless of the twists, turns and crossroads of your entrepreneurial journey, remember to carry an attitude of potential and positivity!